Our family!

Our family!

Thursday, December 11, 2008

My Soapbox Moment

I apologize if I offend anyone with my opinion here, but stuff at our elementary school has gotten out of hand and I am frustrated. My blog is mine so I can vent right? I don't know who heard about this but our school did a Christmas musical called "Santa Goes Green". What do you think this would be about? The name says it all and my kids had been singing their class songs so I could tell it was about recycling. It was made to be humorous and funny. When the time came so many people showed up that it was a fire hazard since so many people were standing in the aisles and hallways. The principal did something that I thought was the only fair thing to do. She had to ask the people standing to leave the room (it is law) and she held another showing right after the first one just for them. It was inconvenient for all families since those who saw the first one waited after for their kids to perform the second show. I personally didn't see another way out of the situation and applaud Ms. Strauss for doing what she could. That was the first hurdle. Apparently some people had expected the program to be only traditional Christmas music and were furious that it was not, some had referred to it as a Pageant which it was never to be. It went to furious parents calling the school and one even took it to family value talk radio who then called our teachers and staff and community a godless community. Now to my opinion-I am sorry but if you were paying attention you should have known what the play was about, I was. Also, the kids were so excited and had a lot of fun. Shouldn't it be about them? The play was based around the curriculum so it fit for the year. Those out there believed the school was trying to push a political agenda. I am so sad that it was taken this far. Now the school is talking about pulling several programs like our Shakespearean Festival due to a few parents voicing their nasty opinion. I am really frustrated because my daughter was one of those to be involved in the Shakespearean Festival this year. I am sorry but how should all this get taken away because someone decided they didn't like a musical? Sorry, thank you for letting me vent. It helped get it out of my system.

3 comments:

Jen Nielson said...

Oh, I will be really bummed if they take away the Shakespearean play. Bryn is really looking forward to it.

Hunsaker Family said...

LOVED reading all your blog entries! What a fun family you have! Very fun way to keep in touch :) -Tara

Lisa said...

I totally agree with your venting. All it takes is one upset parent and the powers that be have to pull everything. It's not fair but unfortunately it's the way the world is going. It's really bad when you are supposed to say "Seasons Greetings" or "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas" because it might offend the minority. Whatever happened to the majority? I'm sorry that happened. It is supposed to be about the children and not the parents.